About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Monday, January 09, 2017

A is for ALBERT DOCK

Welcome one and all to ABC Wednesday's "Farewell Tour."  After Round 20 we will have been going strong for 10 years, thanks to the creative genius of Denise Nesbitt.  Thanks definitely go to Roger, our administrative wizard for the past several years and to the team (listed on the t-shirt) for their genuine caring that all contributors receive positive comments.  Anyone up for continuing ABCW in this format or in another, please get in touch with Roger!

Now on to the first letter of the alphabet - A as in apple, archery, appetite, acrobat, adjective, aerodynamic, and Africa.  This week I would like to take you to Albert Dock in Liverpool, England, where I stayed once in 2012 and once in 2016 before meeting with our team member Di and her awesome hubby at the amiable restaurant called Gusto!

I didn't stay long in Liverpool in 2012 because I was on my way to the Isle of Man, but did appreciate staying on Albert Dock, which was so close to the ferry terminal that I could walk there.  Last summer (2016) I stayed long enough to take the hop on/hop off bus and tour the city for the day and a half.  When I arrived by train from Wales, I spent the afternoon at the Beatles Museum and wandered over to the Liverpool Wheel where I got on and took lots of photos from the top. I got lots of photos everywhere I went the next day but this week will focus only on Albert Dock. If you click on the first photo, you can then just move forward to the next ones.

No introduction to this needed, I'm sure! Go HERE to check out close-ups and the story of when this was erected - 50 years after their last show in Merseyside.

Ronald William Wycherley, better known by his stage name Billy Fury, was an English singer from the late 1950s to the mid 1960s, and remained an active songwriter until the 1980s. Rheumatic fever, which he first contracted as a child, damaged his heart and ultimately contributed to his death. An early British rock and roll star, he equalled the Beatles' record of 24 hits in the 1960s, and spent 332 weeks on the UK chart, without a chart-topping single or album. This statue of him was between my hotel on the dock and the Mersey Ferry Terminals.
Prince Albert, husband of Queen Victoria - at the front of the Mersey Ferry Terminal

Albert Dock at night - I took this on my return from Gusto's restaurant after
an appetizing dinner with Di and Ian.  This week's contribution is dedicated to them!

See you next week when I'll take you to the Beatles Museum for Week B!

25 comments:

Rajesh said...

Wonderful shots from Albert Dock. I like that gigantic wheel.

Murthy K v v s said...

Great statues...

Trubes said...

Great post Leslie, about our beloved City Liverpool, so glad you enjoyed your visit, although, I was saddened that we couldn't do the trip around the city but I know you understand the reason why.
I love the panoramic view of the city zooming over the city and showing the sky scraper buildings.
Looking forward to next week's post on the Beatles'''You can show off and say you once held the hand of a girl who held Paul McCartney's hand (Moi).....
hugs Di.xx
ABCW team.

Hildred said...

Great photos Leslie, - never did get to Liverpool but wonderful to see it through your eyes....

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful photos Leslie ~ fun traveling ~ enjoy every minute ~

Wishing you a Happy Week ahead ~ ^_^

ellen b said...

Hi Leslie, Great post for the letter A and I'm looking forward to the Beatles museum next week. Happy January too you.

Roger Owen Green said...

I'm vaguely familiar with that group - the Beatles, perhaps? ;-)

ROG, ABCW

Deepa said...

Looks lovely.
I totally loved the pictures. Would love to visit there some day

Handmade in Israel said...

Wonderful photos! I was a student in Liverpool and we regularly popped down to the Albert Dock to wander around and visit the Tate. These pics really take me back. Sadly I haven't been back to Liverpool in years.

Lea said...

Great photos!
Love the Beatles!

Indrani said...

Wow! Amazing impressive statues.

katie eggeman said...

Beautiful pictures, one day I will spend more time in England, than just London.
KatieBankerchick

Joy said...

I like the wheel view, the Albert dock has come to my rescue for various ABC posts. No visit to Liverpool complete without calling by. Billy Fury was always a favourite of mine. Looking forward to your amble up here.

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love photography, but I may have had a little problem taking the shot on the ferris wheel, since I am not a big fan of altitudes. LOL! All your shots are marvelous!

MelodyK said...

Wonderful photo's Leslie... I don't have any doubt whatsoever about you have had lots of fun during this trip ;-)

Have a nice ABC-Wednesday / _ Week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc=w=team)
http://melodymusic.nl/abc-wednesday-20a/

LindyLouMac said...

Calling by from ABC Wednesday, now I live in North Wales I really must get to visit Liverpool sometime, your post has inspired me.

Gattina said...

Aaww that brings back memories ! I have been visiting Liverpool for 2 days 3 years ago and also this place !

Ann said...

Looks like a fabulous place, Ferris Wheels are one thing I cannot ride--any ride but them.
Ann

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Great photos! Billy Fury has a similar pose to Elvis Presley. I must go find some you tube videos on him. Albert Dock sounds like it should be someone's name. lol.

Klara S said...

I like photo #3 the most. It's cool!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place. I wish I could visit there someday.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I wonder how he Ronald got the name or came up with the name Billy Fury? Interesting,

prince said...

The principle rule for this is your home must be worth more than what you owe on the main home loan. play bazaar

Play bazaar
satta king

Unknown said...

solitary outing, there might be nothing more terrible than having your baggage pursuing you around simultaneously as you go without smooth clothing.
https://www.aapkinews.net/

Satta King said...

Jisko dekh kar hum chalna bhul jate hainUsi ko dekhkar mor bhi nachna bhul jate hainKhuda jane ye kaise mushkil aa padiKhush hokar bhi hum muskurana bhul jate hainNind gayab ho gayi hai aajkal meriJab bhi yad aati hai to sona bhul jate hainBahut se aauzu rakhte hain dil main kahne kaMagar jab samne aati hai to kahna bhul jate hainLikhun main kaise usko najrana apne pagal dil kaJo bhi likhna chahte hain to likhna bhul jate hainUnki khuli hui bikhri julfon ko dekhkarAb to suraj bhi nikalna bhul jate hainKarun main kiya ab mujhko batao tum ‘Dost’Usko dekhkar najren htana bhul jate hain.. satta king
play bazaar