About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, January 06, 2013

Z is for ZOO (London)

So far, I've managed each week to bring you a small part of my last holiday in England and Wales.  I was a bit stymied for the letter "Z" but I decided that even though I didn't have the chance to get to it, I would write about the London ZOO.  I did go past it on a canal boat on Regent Canal, but unfortunately my back acted up while I was in London, so a full day of being on my feet was not possible.  And on the news last week, it was mentioned that the ZOO has begun its annual week-long census of the 17,500 animals who reside there. "The zoological director, David Field, said it was vital the data they had stored on the animals was absolutely correct as the information forms the basis of international breeding programmes for endangered species."  Apparently, some species are harder to count than others.  For example, the endangered partula snails, because of their small size and camouflage techniques underneath leaves, must be counted by hand.  Also, the penguins tend to be uncooperative for photographers vying for position to catch a shot of them but the nine meerkats relish the attention!

"To be fair, the laborious count is not just a bureaucrat's idea of a joke. Precise numbers are needed by the International Species Information System, which oversees zoo breeding programmes to help save endangered species.  One species under threat is the Sumatran tiger, two of which are set to move to London Zoo when the new £3.6 million Tiger Territory enclosure opens this Spring." (from here)

Although I didn't visit the ZOO during my last trip to London, I will definitely go back to see it.  After about a half hour into our trip, as we drifted along Regent Canal in a canal boat, we saw the spot where you can get dropped off and picked up.  The birds were on one side of the canal, while other species were on the other.  It seemed as though the canal was winding its way through a thick jungle forest, even though we knew were in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the world!  I hope you enjoy this short slideshow of our boat ride along Regent Canal on the way to the London Zoo.
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Great thanks to our own zealous zookeeper Mrs. Nesbitt (after all, she has 6 hens + a cockeral, 3 dogs, and one cat) for creating ABC Wednesday for all of us to enjoy.  Hmmm....I wonder if she grows zucchini!  Also, thanks to our current Administrator Roger who hopefully won't turn into a zombie from all the responsibility he has each week as he minds the site.  If he does, we can always toss him into the tiger zone as a zesty treat.  (Just kidding, Rog!) Okay, I'll zip my lip for now...go watch the slideshow.

29 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

you're right - I AM a zombie!

Powell River Books said...

This has been an interesting way to work through the alphabet. Thanks for the tour. - Margy

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Super post Leslie,.. I wouldn't mind going down the Regent Canal, .. surprising what you learn from other people :-) xx

Russell said...

Liked your ZANY blog - heh!! Very good!

Have you seen the movie Life of Pi? I was reminded of that movie (which is one of the few movies I saw this past year) when I saw the meerkats in the video. I won't say too much if you have not seen the movie but it is something that is very memorable - at least it was to me!

Always enjoy your wordsmith talents.

Take care.

Carver said...

Great idea for the letter Z. I visited the London Zoo in the 1970s and it was the first time I was made uncomfortable about animals being kept in a zoo. I'm not sure why since I'd visited other zoos before but maybe it was my age. I was a teenager when I was in London and other times I'd visited zoos before that, I was much younger.

Meryl said...

Great images! And there's something to be said for 'virtual visits'!

Thanks for such entertaining posts. I look forward to more in round 12!

Wanda said...

Thank you Leslie...I've been around the world this year, and never left my computer chair, thanks to your wonderful tours. Also you introduced me to "Smile Box" and I hope to use it this next round.

Richard Lawry said...

Your post reminded me of a podcast I listened to recently on the Tower of London Menagerie. It was maybe the first zoo.


An Arkies Musings


Reader Wil said...

Thanks for your visit. New Zealand is named after Zeeland, because Abel Tasman who was the first European to set foot on this land, named the newly found country after the Dutch province of Zeeland.

photowannabe said...

Leslie, I loved your tour this time through ABC Blogland.
The Smilebox videos are so much fun to look at.
It looks like a most wonderful trip.

Rinkly Rimes said...

I like the idea of being able to visit the zoo from the river. Very atmospheric.

Anonymous said...

this reminded me how it's time i visit the zoo again, i cannot remember the last time i did.

Gerald (SK14) said...

The canal trip is a good way to go

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful photography ~ Wow! What a trip ~

I am off to London, Norway and Iceland the end of May ~ want to take a ride on the Thames ~

(A Creative Harbor) aka ArtMuseDog and Carol ^_^

ps. am your latest GFC follower ^_^

ChrisJ said...

Wow! You went over the top for 'Z's. Good for you. I think I went to the London Zoo many, many years ago. It does hurt to see animals in some zoos, but what a lot of information we would be without and what species would have already disappeared. I have to add that the San Diego Zoo and Animal Park are remarkably spacious and more wildlife friendly -- but still....

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

when I was young, we studied the Oxford English book, they had drawings of the London Zoo, just tiny cages.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Are those squirrel monkeys?

Z is for...
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

magiceye said...

That was lovely!

Gattina said...

You gave me the idea to visit London's zoo when I am there next time !
Gattina
ABC Team

Liz Hinds said...

And are you ready for the next round?!

Hazel said...

I love the bit where you are teasing Roger :) and his response cracked me up! lol! Have a great week Leslie!

Nonnie said...

what soothing music to hear as one floats through the canal! oh, how I wish I could take that lovely trip!
hats off to those who maintain this meme, thank you so much; it is such a fun site!

Unknown said...

a great visit to the zoo, from the comfort of my own home! Thanks!

lisa said...

I've thoroughly enjoyed your England/Wales tour. Thank you for showing me many places I've never been!

Joy said...

A wonderfully relaxing smilebox float down the canal. I must try that trip.

Unknown said...

Maybe next time in London, up to the Zoo (I doubt it because my hosts would like me to go other places:) )
Oh zucchini -I missed that one -one of my favorite veggies!

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Enjoyed the slideshow and the sound track.

Black Jack's Carol said...

Zoos used to be my favourite thing, and I did enjoy visiting the London one in 1987. I'm much more torn now about the whole idea of zoos after learning about Tina, the elephant (Vancouver zoo). Yet, your wonderful video showed what appeared to be some very happy animals. I guess we just have to keep the welfare of the animals always at the top of our sites and we humans will eventually get it right. All that said, my favourite part of your post was the last paragraph. You really are a fun and witty blogger and I so appreciate your contributions to ABC Wednesday!

Belva Rae Staples said...

You really have a way with Z!