About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Saturday, September 08, 2012

I is for ITALY


It has been 6 years since I had the most incredible trip to Italy!  It's almost inconceivable to imagine how beautiful the country is, but if you've had the pleasure of visiting this iconic country, you'll understand why it was the trip of a lifetime for me.  I brushed up on my Italian before leaving western Canada so that in case I got separated from the group, I'd be able to intelligently communicate with the locals.  That actually did happen and I was very glad that, although imperfectly, I was able to identify my needs.  Also, when I became sick in Sicily, an Italian dottore interviewed me about the symptoms of my illness. 

Briefly, I spent one month in Italy, 2 weeks touring from Rome north to the Italian Riviera as far as Portofino and then over to Tuscany to see Pisa, Florence, Siena, and small towns in the countryside which included San Gimignano where "Tea With Mussolini" was filmed.  Then we went back to Rome and went south to Pompei and the Amalfi Coast where we took a day trip to the Isle of Capri.  Finally, we spent a week in Sicily, which has an interesting connection to Greece. 

I took hundreds of photographs with my now-old Samsung Digimax 700 and it was actually fun for me to go back and look at them anew.  From them, I've chosen some in order to impart that feeling of inspiration and awe the country and people of Italy gave me.  I'd return in an instant if money were no object!  Salute Italia! Be sure to turn up the sound for the accompanying musica Italiana!
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Incredible thanks to Mrs. Nesbitt, our founder/creator of ABC Wednesday.  She and her incomparable team immediately visit each contribution to see what interesting and intelligent ideas you've come up with.  To participate or to view posts, simply click here.

16 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

You had a fabulous time in Italy :-) :-) Oh yes a trip of a lifetime, I cannot wait to return there :-)

Thank you for your fab comment, you are not a blob at all LOL and I cannot wait to see all of your photos. x

Roger Owen Green said...

incredible 4 sure!

Trubes said...

I just adored every bit of that Leslie, it was if i was on the tour with you...wonderful photography too...lol Di..xx

Meryl said...

I loved the music, images, and comments. GREAT post - makes me want to travel with you - ALWAYS!!! LOL.

Thanks and have a great week.

Carver said...

What a fantastic trip to take. Great slideshow of your incredible journey. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

Kate said...

It was an INCREDIBLE journey for you, and a delightful visit for me. Thanks so much for posting the video. Now I've got to learn how to do that! Kate, ABC Team

Anonymous said...

I dream of an incredible Italy vacation too.

photowannabe said...

Money does get in the way of me doing many things.
Wonderful video and it's some place I would love to go too.

Ann said...

Your slide show is marvelous. Striking pictures of gorgeous color. We went years ago and my favorite city was Venice. I loved the roadside fruit, bread and wine stands. We were able to climb up the leaning Tower Of Piza too. I'd love to go back as well.
Ann

Chubskulit Rose said...

One of the place I'd love to visit!

Instrument
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

Gattina said...

You have seen quiet a lot of Italy ! Yes it is a very beautiful country. My husband is from the Lake of Garda so during 15 years we spent our holidays there to visit the family ! But of course we did the whole tour of Italy too during these years. BTW Riccardo is written with two "c's" in Italian, one "c" in Spanish (that's what my husband always points out) lol !
Gattina
ABC Team

Lisa said...

Italy is Number ONE on my list of places I want to see someday. It sounds...and looks...like it was an amazing trip!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

what's that lovely cake, Tiramisu? I must raid my freezer.

Cheri said...

Wonderful! I'd like to visit Italy someday, but, of course, money *is* an object, and there are even more places on my list that I hope to get to first!

ChrisJ said...

If I ever went to Italy, along with the places you visited I would love to visit the northern parts which were part of Germany and where German is spoken but which look like Switzerland to me.

Unknown said...

Sounds like it was such an incredible time. My husband and I just booked our Tuscany villas for the second time. We are so excited to finally go back. We had a great time sight seeing. It was just amazing. Thanks so much for sharing your post! It made me more excited for our trip later this year!