About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

E is for EXPOSURE and EXTREMES

Exposure in photography means the amount of light falling on the image during the process of taking a photograph. This can be very complicated when trying to educate oneself, as I am, especially when I don't have an SLR camera, but rather a high-level digital. Simply put, it refers to the length of time the shutter is open. Low light requires a longer shutter cycle while strong light requires a shorter shutter cycle. With SLR cameras, the photographer adjusts the exposure manually, whereas with the type of camera I have, the exposure is calculated automatically. To read more detailed information about exposure, click here or here for a video explanation.

Don't forget to click on the photos to see them in a larger format.

The following are examples of (1) low light exposure (photo courtesy of L Evans copyright) and (2) bright light exposure (my photo).


An extreme in photography is anything that surpasses the standard or is rare. For example, not rather high, but extremely high. Not a little cold, but excessively cold. Not some emotion but exhilarating emotion. Not some details, but excessive and sharp details. Extremes bring drama or visual impact and are related to what are called oddities. These oddities will become weird or bizarre when taken to the extreme. Also, an extreme does not need to be an oddity. For example, a fire is hot as we all know, but its excessively high temperature can be called an extreme.

This photo is considered to be extreme because of the contrast between the dark foreground shape and the brilliant fire-like sunset. The following one is extreme because of its contrast - it is not really black and white but appears to be. (Photos courtesy of L Evans copyright)

The following two photos of my own are "extreme" because the first one is not a little blue, but extra-brilliant blue. And the next one is extremely high.

Extremely excessive thanks to our extraordinary hostess Denise Nesbitt for designing this exciting ABC Wednesday. Her enthusiastic ensemble of assistants will drop by all the participants' contributions to give expansive comments on your posts. Please join in the fun if you haven't yet by simply clicking here.

33 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

EXTREMELY useful. I ESPECIALLY liked your blue period piece.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Reader Wil said...

Extremely excellent exposures!
Have a great Valentine's day!
Wil, ABC Wednesday Team.

Hildred said...

Great post, Leslie.

EG CameraGirl said...

EXTREMELY interesting, Leslie!

Jane and Chris said...

I know there is going to be an exam...I just know it.
Jane x

nancygrayce said...

I love your pictures! So beautiful. I am supposed to be signing up for a photography class, but I am really intimidated!

Meryl said...

Thsee posts are so much fun...and Educational. I just LOVE your blue extreme!

Joy said...

A nice exposition of exposure and contrasting light.
My automatic has a tendency to underexpose in certain light conditions, meh.

VioletSky said...

I like your exceptionally extreme views!

Carol said...

Great info and photos! The extra-brilliant blue is wonderful!

jill said...

Love the sunset pic xxx

Tina´s PicStory said...

really great shots! my E is for eggs :)

The Poet said...

Hello.
These are some great shots!
Thanks for sharing.

Endless Love And Devotion

Michele said...

Oh Leslie.. good to see you getting into the photography. you got it so well. i will need to learn these tricks from you. very nice. Happy valentine's day!♥

Gigi Ann said...

I liked the bright ones, I especially liked the first one with the red building and lovely blue sky.

Thanks for the visit today.

Penelope Notes said...

This is a great place to come and learn. Interesting post, Leslie! Evening scenes are particularly difficult when it comes to contrasts. Such scenes are often far more beautiful and nuanced than the camera shows. Still there is magic in being able to capture the moment.

Kay L. Davies said...

Jane's comment cracked me up. I hope she's wrong!
K

photowannabe said...

Excellent. Sometimes I do the Extreme because I want to but many times it just happens. Great examples Leslie.

ChrisJ said...

What a lot of great 'e's. I need to go back and study your post!

magiceye said...

wonderfully explained!

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

It is all so very exquisite!

JANU said...

Excellent capture.

Shrinky said...

Beautifully expressed and illustrated, Leslie, I am so enjoying this series of yours!

J.Rylie.C said...

Beautiful shots and thanks for tips.

E is for Entertainment, please come and see.

Chubskulit Rose said...

That last shot is Extremely beautiful Leslie.

Rose, ABC Wednesday Team
Extra

Dhemz said...

wow! great composition Ms.Leslie...I like it!

Unknown said...

Excellent set of photos...with a lot of Es too.

Arthur Schenck said...

This was really interesting! Many of us play around with taking photos, but this gives us a way of looking at the process differently, which is good. Thanks!

Lisa said...

I really liked your post today talking about one of my favorite subjects...photography! I'm EXTREMELY addicted to it these days. :-)

jane said...

Leslie - like Lisa I am extremely addicted to taking a pic - but I do not have a SLR - only a digital but I do love to experiment with different settings - Jane UK

Suzy said...

Excellent and educational post and very interesting. thanks for visiting my blog.

Trekcapri said...

Hi Leslie, awesome post. Your photos are wonderful and a great accompaniment to your in formation. I'm also trying to relearn photography and struggle with "exposure". I enjoyed your post a lot.

Thanks so much for sharing. Have a great weekend.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Great tips and great shots, Leslie.