About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Monday, August 08, 2011

D is for DESIRE

Welcome to another week of ABC Wednesday, designed and run by Denise Nesbitt, aided by her dedicated group of assistants, including moi. This week my poem is about Desire. Here we go:

DESIRE

Desire is the colour of heliotrope.
It looks like rosebuds waiting to open.
It sounds like a gentle gulp or gasp.
It smells like musk and the rose I clasp.
It tastes like strawberries and sparkling wine.
It feels like shivers down my spine.
Desire is faith in the divine.
If you're not familiar with the colour "heliotrope," it is a sort of pinky-purple or a vivid lavendar. I chose this colour because I heard that it has magical properties, and with regard to desire, you can take that as you may. Oh, and those are my own roses.

39 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

Lovely roses leslie xxx

Chris said...

Beautiful roses Leslie... in answer to your question a biscornu is a pin cushion but instead of the two pieces being sewn together to make it square, you sew the corner of one piece to the middle of the side of the other so it is all sewn in the same manner. Its a French word..
Hugs Chris x

B i r g i t t a said...

Like the color :)

Carver said...

Your roses are beautiful and a great poem for the letter D.

Liz Hinds said...

Beautiful roses, and wonderful images conjured by the words.

Gigi Ann said...

Lovely poem, I Desire to be able to write poetry almost as Dandy as yours. "Heliotrope" sounds like a lovely color, and your roses are Divine.

Sylvia K said...

Lovely roses, beautiful color and a great post for the D Day, Leslie! Hope your week is going well! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Jane and Chris said...

Lovely poem..thinking of desire as pink now!!
Jane x

EG CameraGirl said...

The roses are a gorgeous colour!

photowannabe said...

I know I keep saying it but the poems are truly wonderful.
I must remember the exercise.
Gorgeous roses. I can almost smell them from here.

Meryl said...

I love the imagery in the poem - you can actually feel, taste and smell desire. I also love you choice of heliotrope- it is so much fun to say!!!

Also, thank you for your wonderful comments on my blog. I always look forward to them. And, I have to say that it also took me to adulthood to have my own opinions! That said, I certainly do have my share of opinions (for better and for worse)...LOL!

Karen said...

Lovely roses!

Jo said...

What a gorgeous poem...!

Tumblewords: said...

Delicious! Heliotrope has a magical sound and your poem rings true.

Shrinky said...

Your poem positively sparkles, you are so creative! And as for those roses, my, you truly must have green fingers, aren't they splendid?

Hildred said...

A gorgeous rose, Leslie and your poem is quite lovely.

Reader Wil said...

Desire is decent D-word.It's either decadent or decent.
Very nice post, Leslie.

Chronicles of Illusions said...

You really captured the images of desire - loved it

Dhemz said...

what a very interesting choice....love the picture....pretty! thanks for dropping by....:)

Wanda said...

Love your poems...and the rose...I belivev "Disire" is a good word for them.

magiceye said...

wow!
loved the image and he verse!

The Poet said...

Hello.
Lovely poem. Being the romantic that I am, I love flowers and your roses are beautiful. Purple is also one of my favorite colors.

Thanks for the visit too. I appreciate it.

Nanka said...

Loved the poem and gorgeous Roses that you have grown!!

Shanda said...

I had not heard of the word but the photo and colors are beautiful

Chubskulit Rose said...

I love roses and have a few in my garden, yours looks lovely!

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

And definitely one of the intriguing colors in the Crayola box! You know you have the good box when you see heliotrope in there!

Anonymous said...

I learnt a new color !! Thnx :) Nice post

Pheno, ABCW Team

Joy said...

The roses are beautiful at the moment, as are yours. The word heliotrope sounds so exotic, just right for the colour of desire.

nonizamboni said...

Warm, lovely thoughts and I always stop to smell the heliotrope in the nursery. Your roses are a beautiful illustration of your prose~

Gattina said...

I learned something !

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Yes, lovely. x

jane said...

Heliotrope is a beautiful plant and I think well able to represent Desire - it is highly oerfumed and a gorgeous purple in colour I have some growing in my garden - I have just been out for a deep long sniff of them! - beautiful rose picture and a tremendous poem - thanks for visiting my blog - lovely to hear from you - have a lovely week - Jane

Francisca said...

Your poem on desire have dazzled my senses!

Linda said...

The roses are perfect for the poem and they do look magical.

LInda
ABC Wednesday Team

Roger Owen Green said...

Desirable post!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Jinksy said...

I am now on a heliotrope quest...

nancygrayce said...

I'd never heard of them, but they're beautiful!!

Alice said...

hi there friend!!

love the new look blog....

here is my crumb trail......


luv 'alice' fff

Gattina said...

lovely roses ! I like the color !