About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Proof of Jesus' Crucifixion?

From an article in the newspaper, it appears that two nails have been discovered in a 2,000-year-old tomb just outside of Jerusalem. "Simcha Jacobovici, who has made a documentary about the find for the History Channel, contends the nails were used to hammer Christ to the cross. He believes the high priest may have wanted them buried alongside his body as divine protection in the afterlife."

Now even though I have a very strong faith, I immediately thought that this was a hoax. However, after reading further, it appears that the boxes in which these nails were found belonged to the Jewish high priest (Caiaphas) who has historically been known to have only been associated with Jesus' crucifixion.

This discovery is believed to be the best archaeological argument ever made that two of the nails from the crucifixion of Jesus have been found.

Your thoughts?

7 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I'll wait til I hear more...my cynicism matches your initial reaction.

Jo said...

As crucifixion was a widely practiced form of torture and execution, the nails could belong to anyone. It was a horrible way to die, and the word "excruciating" means "out of crucifying. It was designed as a particularly horrible form of death, and thousands of people were crucified.

I don't think we need to see the actual nails to realize how horribly Jesus suffered on the cross.

I wonder if the nails did protect Caiaphas. According to Dante, Caiaphas is in the 8th circle of hell, himself being crucified.

nancygrayce said...

Hmmmmm.....I'll look into that! But bottom line, no one has to prove it to me....I believe it!

Leslie: said...

Ah, Josie - I just knew you'd have some extra info. I didn't know that Caiaphus had been crucified, too!

Liz Hinds said...

If these ancients had as many nails lying around as Husband does they could be part of anything!

Sandy said...

Psalms 22 in very precise detail foretells thousands of years ahead about Jesus crucifixion.
You could say that Jesus manipulated the people to crucify him to make it seem that way BUT how would he get them to cast lots for his clothes or any of the other precise, details do you know what the odds are?

From the Old Testament alone, more than 2000 specific prophesies have been fulfilled.

graduate students calculated what the odds would be of any one person fulfilling just eight of these prophesies. they found the chance was one in 100,000,000,000,000,000,
here are a few just from: Psalms 22 and the New Testament fulfillment:

1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Mt. 27.46 · Mk. 15.34

7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn:
they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, Mt. 27.39 · Mk. 15.29 · Lk. 23.35 saying,


8 He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him:
let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him. Mt. 27.43


16 the assembly of the wicked have in closed me:
they pierced my hands and my feet.
17 they look and stare upon me.


18 They part my garments among them,
and cast lots upon my vesture. Mt. 27.35 · Mk. 15.24 · Lk. 23.34 · Joh. 19.24

Anonymous said...

In something like this, we cannot jump to conclusions. Obviously there is no proof to be able to tell whom they belong to. However, as a believer that Jesus rose from the dead, I do not believe that they can belong to Him.

Secondly, it is highly unlikely that these belong to Jesus based on the fact that the boxes they were found in belonged to Caiaphas. The bible does say that Caiaphas was the high priest that Jesus was brought before. However, when he heard Jesus claim to be the son of God he tore his clothes out of anger, accused him of blasphemy, and then they proceeded to hit him and spit on him. (Matthew 26:65-67)

Now why would Caiaphas, a religious ruler, want to bury the nails with Jesus for "divine protection in the afterlife". Jesus was a man that the pharasees and members of the Sanedrin despised because he went against their strong religious beliefs. It makes no sense that Caiaphas would be worried about Jesus' state in the afterlife.

If anything, this discovery points to the resurrection of Jesus Christ. In no way does the connection between Caiaphas a Jesus make sense. Besides, it is written that Joseph (Matthew 27: 57) took Jesus' body and buried him. No where does it mention that Caiaphas had any affiliation with Jesus after his death.

The only thing that these nails therefore prove is that crucifixion occurred as accurately described in the Bible.