About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Welcome Spring!

We welcomed Spring today in the rain!
But, I just had to do something to herald the day, so I changed the colour of my page to pink in honour of the Japanese cherry trees that will soon be in bloom and decided to put up a post about Spring. We had such a dismal winter this year, and last summer was not so great, either. Therefore, I have to believe that it's going to be a beautiful Spring and Summer this year.
First of all, my sweetie has started in the garden! Most of the area that was covered in bark mulch has been cleared and new mulch has been laid. Also, a brand new barbecue has been put together and is just waiting for the motorized rotisserie to be installed. The ribs have been purchased for the first outdoor meal of the season and we're simply waiting for a bit of sun and warmth to drag all the patio furniture out of the shed. We are both so sick of the grey, dismal weather and are anxiously awaiting the arrival of blue skies!

We're also looking forward to going on hikes around the area to develop our photographic skills. There are so many places to go around here - the beaches, the regional parks, the mountains, the city's varied touristy locations, etc. And the first weekend in June, we're heading to the interior of BC to White Lake where "The Big Chill" weekend is being held this year. Each year around this time, my sweetie and all his friends and their wives get together for their annual reunion. It'll be my first time in a few decades to see them all together again, although I did know them back in the day. Apparently, the guys all go fishing for rainbow trout while the gals do their own thing. I'm looking forward to exploring the area with my camera and drinking lots of wine, and then watching the guys bbq their catch of the day as they weave and wobble from all the beer they drank in the boats. Should be lots of fun!

Aha! The weather man was right! Although it's windy and the rain is still coming down, the sky is lightening up bringing with it some sunny skies later this afternoon. Please God, may the blue skies and sunny weather stay!

7 comments:

Maggie May said...

Beautiful cherry blossom. Spring is well on the way & I'm sure it won't be long before you will go on those lovely walks.
Its great here. Warm & sunny in the day time. Cold at night.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Love the top pic and the pink blog. It's great to read your enthusiasm to get out there, Leslie, after all you have recently been through. Love from Sicily x

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Such a lovely new blog..very spring like :-) :-)

It won't be long til you are really out and about, take care love from Oxfordshire

peppylady (Dora) said...

Nothing in our area for flowers in bloom.
If you stop by we still have snow on the ground, I posted a picture.
I can't wait to I see some of your picture from your hike.

Coffee is on.

nancygrayce said...

We went from winter straight into summer! But the weather is beautiful...blue skies and lots of warm sunshine!

Rosie said...

happy springtime

sally in norfolk said...

I love the cherry trees and have a flagpole cherry tree in my garden its still very young but doing well :-)