About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Friday, October 10, 2008

BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH

I just booked a mammogram - October 24th at 12:45 in my local hospital. I also requested the "fast track" program so that my doctor will be informed of negative results within 48 hours.
So?
*sigh*
Last night I received a call from my younger sister. She was in tears. She'd had her mammogram and got the results.
Three tiny lumps. Two might be nothing. One probably is something.
Two and a half years ago, my older sister had a mastectomy due to a small lump that was cancerous. We all thought it was a fluke because no one in our family had ever had cancer.
Until our Dad had a bout with colon cancer. But he was old and lots of old people end up with some sort of cancer.
Then last year, some of you may remember, my younger daughter had an ovarian tumour. Thankfully, it was benign.
My friend Kathy died in August after living with breast cancer for 16 years.

Breast cancer doesn't have to be deadly but early detection is the key.
Have YOU had a mammogram lately?

8 comments:

Daryl said...

Keeping good thoughts for your sister ...and thanks for making this important check up the subject of a blog post ... xo

:-Daryl

RiverPoet said...

I hope the lumps are nothing for your sister. I went through a lump scare earlier this year, so yes, I'll be having regular mammograms right on time.

Peace - D

Jo said...

Oh, Leslie, you are all in my prayers! Yes, early detection is important. Keep us posted and let us know how you sister is doing.

Michele said...

Oh my... I'm keeping your sister in my prayers... this must be a very stressful time.
I never even gave thought to this.
I have no idea if it runs in my family because I don't know my family so maybe one day when I get my other problems fixed, I'll look into that.
{{Hugs}}

nancygrayce said...

Praying for your sister. I keep close watch on mine. I've had a couple of biopsies but thankfully all benign.

sally in norfolk said...

I dont have one but then i dont think iam old enough yet to get them....

sally in norfolk said...

ooppps posted with out saying my thoughts are with you and your sister and i hope all turns out well x x

Liz Hinds said...

Oh leslie, how scary for her and you. I pray any action will be taken quickly and that she's fine again.