About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

New Beginnings

It's the first day of fall and the first anniversary of my Dad's "new life." Yes, it's this time of year (for me at least) when I feel life is beginning again. I guess it goes back to when I was a little girl and looked forward to school. And as a teacher, it was always the beginning of a new school year from a different perspective. It was also on this day last year that my Dad took his final breath on this earth and began his new life in heaven. He was reunited with my Mom whom he loved more than anyone else in his life from the time he was only 21 years old. They almost made it to 60 years together and now they will have eternity.

Since my back was feeling - well - not "too" bad this afternoon, I decided to go for a walk around the block on a little photo safari. It was warm (18C/65F) with just a touch of a breeze so off I went to practise macros and just generally see what I could see. So in honour of my Dad and the first day of fall (at least on this hemisphere), here's a bit of what I captured through the lens. Be sure to click on the photos to see them in their larger glory!















































































As you can see, there's still lots of colour around. The trees are just hinting at turning their brilliant reds, yellows, and oranges, but it's still mostly green here. I hope everyone had a lovely weekend, whether it's the first day of fall or the first day of spring for our southern hemisphere friends.

11 comments:

Ruth L.~ said...

Beautiful day here a little further south, too, Leslie. Your macros are lovely. I love the mums. they are so full of life and they are still blooming prolifically here also. I'm glad you felt good enough to get out and think of your dad and honor his memory with such nice pix.

Katney said...

Well, practice must make perfect as those are delightful shots. I have discovered a macro setting on my little camera, and am having fun with it. You will see if yous top by tomorrow.

Jo said...

Leslie, these are exquisite. You're going to have to teach me how to do that macro thing.

This is my favorite time of the year too. I love the fall flowers and the colors of the changing leaves.

Now if it would just stop raining...

Leslie: said...

Well, we'll have to go on a photo safari one Saturday, Josie. Just let me know when you want to go. But not next Saturday cuz it's Rivermania out here in Ladner. Big celebration 200th anniversary of the Ladner brothers meeting with the natives and starting up the village.

RiverPoet said...

There is such joy in knowing that our loved ones will be waiting for us. I can't imagine how hard loss is for someone who believes in nothing.

Peace - D

jmb said...

You are doing very well with your macro photography Leslie. The dahlias are still quite lovely aren't they?

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Lovely story Leslie.

Wow your photos are brilliant. We bought a new camera last week, unfortunately can;t get to use it for a month, hubby has taken it, on his travels.

I will be looking at macros when it arrives back.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Beautiful post bith text and accopmanying images.

Daryl said...

Oh Leslie ... the bugs are ucky but the flowers and the photos are SO good ...

My dad passed at the end of October - 2 days after his 91 birthday - so I know how you must feel.

(((Leslie)))

:-Daryl

Barbara said...

You certainly have a lot of colour still around, these photos are stunning. Well done with the macro, I love using macro. A wonderful way to honour your Dad.

PERBS said...

Lots of spring beauty left -- love that one with the bee! Don't rush fall photos -- it will be available soon enough even tho the calendar says Autumn has arrived.