About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

ABC Wednesday - J is for Jack Jones

Did you know that "Jack Jones" is a Cockney rhyming slang for saying that you are on your own?

Q: "Who are you with?"
A: "I'm on my Jack Jones man - nuttin' going on."
OR
A: "I was sat there on my Jack Jones, like a right
billy no mates" (another British slang for being abandoned by friends.)

Jack Jones is also a famous American singer, born in 1938, who has been acclaimed by the likes of Frank Sinatra, Mel Torme, and Tony Bennett. When I was a kid, Jack Jones was very well known and my Dad would often joke about how "he" was famous.
That's because my Dad was Jack Jones. (not the singer, though.)
My Dad wasn't famous for his singing, but he was famous in his own way. When he was only 11 years old, he started playing soccer. He was actually kicked out of the Salvation Army because he chose to play soccer on Sundays instead of going to church. But he didn't care then.
Dad became so famous in Vancouver that he was inducted into the British Columbia Sports Hall of Fame in 1986. He had not only been an athlete that the Vancouver Sun would frequently write about during his time playing the sport, but also he went on to be a linesman, referee, and Commissioner of Soccer for the province. In the early 40's, anyone who knew anything about sports knew who Jack Jones was.
Dad had a good life, marrying my mother in 1943 a month after turning 22 years old. He then went on to serve in the RCAF during WW2 as a pilot and flight instructor. After the war, he returned to settle down to family life and worked until retirement for the telephone company. He loved his family and had three daughters (of whom I'm the middle one), four grandchildren (2 boys and 2 girls), and one great-grandson (my daughter's son). During his life he loved to play golf and watch hockey, travel, and play bridge with lots of their friends.
He passed away September 21st of last year, so as the letter J came up for this week, I thought I'd post a few photos of my own personal famous Jack Jones.

Age 19

RCAF during WW2, age 23

Banff 1953 (age 32)

At my wedding reception 1973 (age 52)

With my mother in Spain circa 1976 (age 55)

Snuggling with Jamie circa 1985 (age 64)

Hugging Jaclyn circa 1989 (age 67)

With great-grandson Noah 2004 (age 83)

Jack Jones

(January 18, 1921 - September 21, 2007)

Have a great week everyone and if you'd like to see more ABCW contributions, go to http://wednesdayabc.blogspot.com/ and read about how you, too, can participate.

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie,

I loved reading the story of your father and noticed the tragedy of your husband and the way you keep on going.

Travel is a good way to do that and so maybe you will like my site about the lovely island of Crete in the Mediterranean Sea. Maybe you will also like the jalopies.

Take care

Ray

Russell said...

A wonderful post! I enjoyed every word and the photos from a young man to an older man were great!

That is a great idea - to put photos of a person on a time line. It really gives you a nice perspective of the person's life!

Take care.

Cath said...

Wow what a handsome man! That is a great post and a wonderful tribute to your dad. Well written.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your words and loved the photos of your father. It's another way to tell a story.

Anonymous said...

Wow.. that's a very touching one.

I have two entries this week,you can check it out here and here.

RiverPoet said...

What a beautiful post, Leslie, and I love the wedding photo. Love that you told his story in pictures.

Thanks for sharing these memories of your dad with us...Peace - D

Anonymous said...

What a great tribute to your dad Jack! I really enjoyed all the photos. My dad turned 85 this year...

jmb said...

Lovely post about your dad Leslie. I'm sure you miss him.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Lovely post Leslie..you have such great memories of your father, something to hold on to, and so do your girls.

Reader Wil said...

Hi Leslie! This is a great tribute to your father! He must have been a great dad and grandfather. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tribute, Leslie.
Sorry about the name thing the last day.

antigoni said...

You must be very proud of your dad. I'm sure he sees you from heaven, he's proud of you and look after you and your family. God bless his soul.

antigoni said...

I know about the peeing thing but, lucky me, i never had to do it.

Rune Eide said...

That was a touching, deeply felt tribute to a caring father. I lost my own father in 2003, but I still miss him very much, so I know very well how you feel. You have my sympathies.

BTW - you have also taught me something about cockney I didn't know. May come in handy the next time I'm in London.

PS Thank you for the nice comment.

Miss_Yves said...

Great tribute to "your Jack Jones" and great set of photos through
his life.
I enjoy Slam...in French !In English it's rather difficult for me to understand wits,
jokes -
jeux
sur les mots!
Miss Yves

sally in norfolk said...

as usual this was beautiful to read :-)

Maria Verivaki said...

you were certainly very very lucky to have had your dad for so long - a timely memorial for your dad

Anonymous said...

Aw .. he looks like a lovely, sweet, genuine family man! I bet you miss him.

Jack Jones as an expression for 'on your own' is a new one to me, despite being born in London (England). Is that where the American expression 'jonesing' comes from? I've read that in novels and from the context it seems to mean 'hanging around on my own'.

Tom said...

Fantastic post .. a really nice warm feeling came over me when reading this... a true loving tribute to a very fine man I'm sure.. Thank you for sharing this it made great reading this morning with my mid-morning cup of tea.

Tom

Mine's Here

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Heeh Leslie,
What a good idea ti show your dad. I could do the same because my dad's name is JAN and ebven my mom would fit named Jacoba, Well I hope (I think you said hat) that you dad is still alive?

How's your back doing my dear? I do not forget about that, so I hope you are doing fine, with the given ciscumstances...

JoAnn's d Eyes
www.joannwalraven.blogspot.com

mrsnesbitt said...

A lovely post leslie. It moved me so much!
Thanks so much,
Dxx

Bear Naked said...

What a wonderful tribute to your father Jack Jones.
Lovely photo montage.
Whatever happened to the singer Jack Jones?
Guess I will have to google that question today.

Bear((( )))

magiceye said...

that was very interesting! a walk down memory lane for you!

AphotoAday said...

That is a really sweet tribute to your dad...

Daryl said...

Lovely .. absolutely lovely tribute to a dear and special man and dad.

:-Daryl

Maggie May said...

Glad to meet YOUR Jack Jones!
Liked the way you aged him as the photos progressed.

Mary Ellen said...

Hello Leslie! (btw, my third daughter's name is Leslie)

It took me awhile to find my way here, I'm so sorry. I've been to your other blog, the Photologue, which I've really enjoyed.

Anyway, I absolutely love the pics of your dad. I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my dad many years ago, he passed away when my kids were young and never had the chance to see my youngest child and only son. He certainly was a handsome guy and it's obvious he was/is crazy about you.

The story about Jack Jones is fascinating, one I've never heard before.

Now that I know where you are, I'll be back. ;-)

holly said...

cool dad.

i've not heard of jack jones as cockney rhyming slang, but i'll keep an ear for it now.

Country Girl said...

Ah. Lovely tribute, Leslie!

Powell River Books said...

Thank you for the introduction to Jack Jones. I love reading your family stories. I especially liked the wedding photo - so much fun! I invite you to come see my post about the Canadian Snowbirds Team jets. - Margy

Anonymous said...

lovely post. poignant.

i quite like the wedding reception photo. :)

my best wishes to you.

Barbara said...

A lovely post all about your Dad Leslie, I love the photos of your Dad through the years.

Kim from Hiraeth said...

A lovely, moving tribute to your father. I'm sure you must miss him.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Your Dad was obviously a lovely Jack Jones. Fab pics!
I remember the singer, too.