About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

For the love of reading - part 2

From the inside cover of John Steinbeck's East of Eden: Set in the rich farmland of California's Salinas Valley, this sprawling and often brutal novel follows the intertwined destinies of two families whose generations helplessly reenact the fall of Adam and Eve and the poisonous rivalry of Cain and Abel...First published in 1952, it is the work in which Steinbeck created the most mesmerizing characters and explored his most enduring themes: the mystery of identity, the inexplicability of love, and the murderous consequences of love's absence...

John Steinbeck wrote this book in his later years and it's full of energy and passion. The first few pages will grab you and you will be hooked until the bitter end. Don't watch the old movie - read the book! I've read many of Steinbeck's novels, including Of Mice and Men, The Winter of Our Discontent, The Red Pony, The Grapes of Wrath, but my favourite is this one. Late hubby would have disagreed as his all-time favourite was The Grapes of Wrath. I've wanted to read more of his California novels ever since seeing Steinbeck's statue at Monterey, California, and teaching some of his books and stories to former students.

13 comments:

Jo said...

Leslie, John Steinbeck was my favorite author. I LOVED him. He wrote the most wonderful characters. East of Eden is definitely one of his best.

You must read Tortilla Flat and Cannery Row. I actually fell out of bed laughing when I read Tortilla Flat, and the adventures of Danny and the poor hapless Tall Bob. I often thought I could relate to Tall Bob, all my life.

I think the only fiction writer I would be able to read again would be John Steinbeck, or Somerset Maugham. What wonderful characters they wrote. Well, they weren't characters, they were real people.

Josie

jmb said...

You are revisiting the oldies but goodies. I don't have time to reread as there are so many great books out there and so little time. The only books I reread are the Dorothy Dunnett books.
Steinbeck was a great pleasure for me when I was in my twenties. It was strange when I went to California to Monterey to the first time, I couldn't help but think about Steinbeck. Of course I read them in Australia so this was a foreign land for me.
regards
jmb

Leslie: said...

Hi jmb, I'm hoping that those who have not read these books will be encouraged to give them a go. I agree there are many great books out there and I for one don't have enough time for them all. I'd actually love to go back to UBC and take more lit courses.

EA Monroe said...

Steinbeck & Maugham, two of my favorites along with Costain. No wonder my writing is too "old fashioned" for the modern genre writers!

Thank you, Leslie, for visiting today and leaving your heart-felt encouragement for my friend Edie. I appreciate it and I know she does!

.Tom Kapanka said...

Did you teach English? The first time I read "Of Mice and Men" I was unaware of the ending.
Spoiler alert: Don't read the rest if you haven't seen or read it...
In that last scene it caught me by surprise and I just wept.
The Red Pony is probably my favorite. The part where he listens to his grandfathers stories that he'd heard a hundred times.... I have many posts at POI that come from loved ones like that grandpa. I could always relate to the boy who knew how to fill the wood box so it looked full, etc. Love that one!
And I probably don't have to tell you that "The Old Man and the Sea" is full of "Passion of Christ" symbolism. (It was mentioned in a March 2007 Time magazine article about Biblical literacy in the classrooms.)

Leslie: said...

POI - I was lucky enough one year to teach Communications 11/12 and that book was on the curriculum. Basically, I taught French as a second language (FSL) and intermediate grades. But I did teach "The Red Pony" to some seventh graders. I'm sorry now I didn't major in Literature and that's why I'd love to take more courses in it.

Janice Thomson said...

The Grapes of Wrath was banned in our school and library...but I did read the wonderful book "The Red Pony" and loved every page of it. Of Mice and Men was most enjoyable too.

someone else said...

Hi, I found you through a comment from Susie's Space. East of Eden is one of my most favorite books. Steinbeck wrote some great stories.

Susie said...

Hi Leslie,
I'm so glad you stopped by to say hello.
I've enjoyed reading the comments here and your post on John Steinbeck.
( a favorite CA author BTW)
I live in the SF Bay Area...
:)

Leslie: said...

Hi Susie, I love SF and have been there many times. Last time I took a day trip down along the coast to Monterey and Carmel. It's a beautiful drive and would love to do it again. I have friends in Santa Cruz and in Paso Robles, so not too far from SF.

Smalltown RN said...

Morning Leslie...thanks for dropping by my blog...any friend of Josie's is certainly a friend of mine. I love your book review...you have actually encouraged me to get out to the book store....

Happy Sunday!

beachgirl said...

Hi Leslie,
My take is that guys need to call. Or they are just not that into you. The motorcycle guy that chased me down to give me his number is nice. But he never calls. I am just not into him.
I just got a phone call. My daughter and I are looking at getting another shi tzu puppy. Great price, sweet dogs.
Don't give up on romance. We will find it in the strangest place for sure.

Susan said...

Hi Leslie,
The only one of these I read is Of Mice and Men. My daughter had it as assigned reading this past fall. The ending brought us both to tears. I have heard of most of these other title that you mention. I will look them up and look forward to receiving the same enjoyment that by first J.S. novel delivered.
Have a good week.