About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

My Town Part 2

Okay, after you pass a couple of outdoor shopping malls, one on each side of the street, you will come to the real and original village of Ladner.



This is the sign welcoming all from far and wide to the village market held every other Sunday all summer long. I've actually overheard people from North and West Vancouver commenting on how they'd heard of Ladner but had never come "down" and "isn't it quaint?" LOL





This is a bit of the main drag of the old village.









Here's our Village Clock. It's right outside some of my favourite shops - South Coast Casuals and Heritage House (where I'm having a wing chair recovered).








Okay, you absolutely cannot come to Ladner without trying the BEST Greek food in town. MMMMM.....YUMMY! You can eat inside or outside on the lovely patio of the Taverna Gorgona.



Around the corner and down one block you will find the Ladner Museum full of historical information about the beginnings of this rural community. My daughter used to be a docent here when she was in high school. It's the original building and it's extremely interesting to wander around.

3 comments:

Jo said...

Leslie, these are gorgeous pictures. I have always loved Ladner. My daughter and her husband almost bought a house there.

I will call you about Sunday.

Josie

Ian Lidster said...

You know, Leslie, having grown up in Burnaby, it amazes me how little we went over to your side of the river. When I was in university I worked in Richmond for four summers, and even Richmond when I first went out there, was alien turf to me.
But, I have been to Ladner a few times, and I appreciate the pictures very much. Wish I could join you and Josie at the market.
Cheers, Ian

willemina said...

The Village of Ladner is so quaint! I love it Leslie...
Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures and the weather looks fabulous too...the colors are so vibrant.