About Me

My photo
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
I took very early retirement from teaching in '06 and did some traveling in Europe and the UK before settling down to do some private tutoring. As a voracious reader, I have many books waiting in line for me to read. Tell me I shouldn't read something, and I will. I'm a happy, optimistic person and I love to travel and through that believe that life can be a continuous learning experience. I'm looking forward to traveling more some day. I enjoy walking, cycling, water aerobics & and sports like tennis, volleyball, and fastpitch/baseball. I'm just getting into photography as a hobby and I'm enjoying learning all the bits and bobs of my digital camera. My family is everything to me and I'm delighted to be the mother of two girls and the Gramma of a boy and a girl. I may be a Gramma, but I'm at heart just a girl who wants to have fun.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

The best retirement gift ever!

I removed the photo 'cuz who knows who's "out there."

I just had to share this with all my cyber-friends. My daughter invited me to dinner and presented me with a lovely leather-bound journal as a retirement gift. But the BEST gift was what she wrote on the card and it made me cry tears of joy. It reads:

To Mom,

You've spent your life teaching: me, Jaclyn, your students, your dogs even. And now, in retirement, you'll still be teaching. Your book will teach women to overcome adversity in the face of widowhood and how to embrace life and grow after a tragedy.

I am so proud of you! You continue to teach me to this very day.

Je t'aime, maman!

Jamie

9 comments:

beachgirl said...

Congratulations on your official retirement. Your grandson is gorgeous. Your daughters word are beautiful. Sometimes our children show us how special they have become. And what a great job we did as Moms/
Have an awesome day.
Carol

Jo said...

Leslie, what a beautiful picture of you and your little grandson. He's adorable...!! Aren't they just little treasures?

Ah, yes, single moms. My daughter said to me the other day, "Mom, what on earth am I going to do when you die...?" I said I hoped she would very, very old before that happened. Hah.

Are you keeping cool?

Josie

heiresschild said...

such a beautiful tribute leslie from your daughter to you. they really know how to bless us, don't they? have a great evening.

sylvia

Leslie: said...

Hi Josie - it sure is HOT today, isn't it? Man oh man I've got all the fans going and all the doors open. When I went out earlier, I saw the temp was 78F. It's hotter now!

Daughter #2 just finished pulling some overgrown plants out of the garden and filled a huge bag. But I think we'll fill 5 before long. Too hot to keep going now. We'll finish another day when it's cooler. How's your "nest"? Is it cool?

Leslie: said...

Thx for all your lovely comments, everyone. Yes, kids do bless us even though we had to be patient and wait a while. (smile)

Jo said...

Hi, Leslie. Pop over to my blog and see my new photos.

Isn't this hysterical? We live in the same town and we visit each other on the blogs. We will get together soon, I promise :-)

It is hot enough for ya?

Leslie: said...

OMIGOD Josie! It's 83 out now - just got in - yes it's a real hoot that we haven't met up yet. But tomorrow is the last day of classes and then I have to go in Wednesday and maybe Thursday (but probably not). Then we really MUST get together.

Ian Lidster said...

That is really touching. Leslie. How fortunate for you both that you have that relationship. Even better, I know that you cherish it.
Ian

willemina said...

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR RETIREMENT LESLIE!!!

83 degrees is cool...It's been in the 100's here although today is cooler and we even had a few raindrops...I think I saw about 100 drops :)

Yes, Josie and Leslie...I also think it's hysterical that you live in the same town and communicate through the blogs...it's about time you two meet don't ya think?